The history of the Forsthaus Auerhahn
A guest house since 1821
In the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, up until a major fire in 1880, logging flourished in the region. Many lumberjacks, who also required accommodation, worked for the Calwer logging company. It was at this time, in the year 1821, that Alt-Mathäus Züfle (a forest warden) built the Forsthaus Auerhahn with stables on the bottom floor and an inn above.
It was in the interests of both the forestry commission and carters for man and beast to have lodgings close to their place of work after a day of hard graft. The Forsthaus inn was therefore urgently required from the outset. Independent hikers soon discovered the delightful landscape to be "refreshing", hence the Auerhahn is already listed as a travel and hiking destination in the 1900 edition of the Baedeker travel guide.
By this point, the Auerhahn had long since been sold to Württemberg's Cameralamt but continued to be operated by several generations of forest wardens and later of foresters. From 1963 to 1997, forester Dieter Zepf and his wife Katrin and their three sons - Erwin, Bernhard and Martin - were responsible for running the Forsthaus.